Matthew C. Sanchez, a native South Floridian, focuses his practice on complex commercial litigation, appeals, general corporate law, real estate and construction, and media and First Amendment law. Matthew regularly handles appellate matters in state, federal, and bankruptcy cases, including administrative appeals.
In addition to his litigation and trial experience, Matthew frequently resolves complex multi-party disputes through mediation and other alternative dispute resolution methods, resulting in an efficient resolution for the client. Examples include a global mediated settlement of contentious real estate litigation between several religious institutions and lenders, as well as resolution of numerous contract and construction disputes involving multiple parties and insurers.
Matthew’s appellate practice has included successful results in both upholding and overturning trial results in numerous courts. Representative examples include Prieto v. Smook, Inc., 97 So. 3d 916 (Fla. 4th DCA 2012), in which Matthew obtained full reversal of a final judgment of fraud, and various appellate decisions upholding millions of dollars in judgments obtained by the firm in state and federal courts.
Matthew earned his B.S., summa cum laude, in Journalism from the University of Florida and his Juris Doctor from Harvard Law School. While attending Harvard, Matt gained experience through work at the Electronic Frontier Foundation in San Francisco and the Berkman Center for Internet & Society.
News and Publications
- The Web Difference: A Legal and Normative Rationale Against Liability for Online Reproduction of Third-Party Defamatory Content, Harvard Journal of Law & Technology, 2008
- Contributions to the Digital Media Law Project’s Legal Guide, at http://www.dmlp.org/legal-guide
Civic and Community Involvement
- Member and former Director, Broward County Gator Club
- Member, Harvard Club of Broward County
- Regular volunteer and participant in numerous charity golf tournaments, including the Broward County Gator Club Annual Golf Classic, the Boys and Girls Club of Broward County Annual Levine/Slaughter Golf Classic, and the New Hope Charities Western Open Golf Tournament
- Former co-host of “The Lawmen” radio show on WZAB 880 AM, Miami, Florida
- Pro bono legal service in the areas of First Amendment and Media Law